1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Chrome!

Trojan441 Jan 31, 2020

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

My plastic chrome has badly peeled off the stator cover & Ignition cover has anyone redone any covers using the products on the market?

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I don't know of any DIY chrome finishing kits. Once I tried the chrome paint from a rattle can. It was junk. It flaked off after a few months.
    Also it didn't really look like chrome.

JohnH#II likes this.
  3. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

I have tried the can stuff to with no true chrome result. There is a shop close to me that does plastic chrome. They charge by the job. I have not took anything to them but might one day if their price is right.

4. Trojan441

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The Rust-Oleum in your pic is what I used. DIY plating. Not for plastic. .

6. Trojan441

The best Chrome plating on metal uses copper. then nickel then chrome, a three stage process! I did see once on YouTube elaborate Spray demonstrations some time ago.
    Informative, sounds like to my ears he's a New Zealander, but could be an Australian. Antipodean inflections!

7. Wissler

Wissler Senior Member Supporting Member

Trojan441 likes this.
  8. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi Member

Hmmm, I think I would just vinyl chrome wrap the plastic chrome parts.

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I've heard of guys vinyl wrapping parts. What I wonder is does it go down good around corners. I have a friend that has dipping tanks. He mostly does gun parts. I wonder if he can do chrome. I used to work with him but have not talked to him since we both got laid off over 8 years ago.

10. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi Member

I am going to try it on my cracked chrome cover. Shouldn't be a problem going around corners. Just have to be patient with the heat gun

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Who makes a good quality wrap. Post up pics after you get it done.

12. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi Member

Avery is probably the stretchiest but 3M and Vvivid probably has the best chrome vinyl. I will probably use Vvivid for the test

13. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

All those "chrome" plastic films are really made with alumunim. More reflective than chrome, less blue.

14. Trojan441

Better than buff-grey!