1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL: Your ZL900 bike color

ZLKawBoy Jan 30, 2008

?

What color is your ZL900?

1. Black (factory)

74.8%
  2. Red (factory)

12.6%
  3. Repainted Black (from original factory black)

5.7%
  4. Repainted Red (from original factory red)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Custom Color (vote then give description in reply)

6.9%
  6. Rust (can't tell)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ZLKawBoy

ZLKawBoy Well-Known Member

What color is your ZL900?

2. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

my zl900 is black. looks to be repainted to stock black, but i'm in the process of getting ready for another repaint.
    dad (marty) has a red zl900. ( also, a repaint to stock red) & it is ready for a repaint also ! CHRIS

3. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

My 85 zl is black and my 86 zl is also black

4. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

Was red, but I re-painted it flat black....Was the original paint, but it was getting a little rough.
    moab...

5. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

Mine is a stock red bike,but soon to be repaited red again.

6. acp

acp Senior Member

My ZL900 is black, factory paintjob. I'm not voting on this one though as I'm planning on painting mine by the end of the year. It'll still be black, but custom.

7. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

My ZL9 has a custom painted tank with FLAMES, the sidecovers look like some IDIOT painted with a combination of brush and rattle can! :D

#1, I am not a "Flamer"!
    #2, 90% of rattle cans blow **** paint!

Soon to be BACK IN BLACK! :cool10:

8. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

Thats not what I heard!!!!!!!

I'll have you know I'm not just SOME idiot. !!!

Bike is 100% original has a few flaws but I won't repaint unless I have too.

9. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Senior Member

I made a mistake when voting, original black but now frame repainted in Hammerite smooth black and rest will be painted in gloss black.

Hopefully the seat will be cobra skin and the kneeguards will also have a snakeskin cover. I haven't gotten a big enough cobra skin for the seat yet but I do have 3 other cobra skins in my freezer. 555

10. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

Wow I got cows in my back yard and you got Cobra's. Interesting.

11. SnakeDoctor

Pretty sure there are a lot more snakes than cows here. 555

12. Bacchus

Bacchus Well-Known Member Supporting Member

custom color .. black base with red overlay

13. ZLKawBoy

ZLKawBoy Well-Known Member

Seems black is what is out there mostly.

The reds sure look pretty !

I was thinking how cool to take one down and sandblast everything (maybe not the engine) - buff it and clear coat the bare buffed metal - like a delorian (or zrod)

waddayathinx?

14. click-it

click-it Active Member

Red, I know the gas tank was repainted.

15. GGRA

GGRA Active Member

My ZL9 is black, but I have been looking hard at repainting some TBD custom color. If anyone is looking for some very cool paints check out http://www.alsacorp.com.

16. SnakeDoctor

I'm going with snakes but then I still need to do other things first. 555

17. iohyou1a

iohyou1a Active Member

Re: POLL: ZL900bike color:flat blk base w/silver ghost flame/transparent redfinalcoat

basecoat flat blk.w/silver ghost flames,transparent red finaal coat

18. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Looking at the results of this poll reinforces what has been found on this forum to be fact.......factory black is alot more plentiful than the red ones. My first one in 1985 was red and all others since have been the same although I will admit the black ones are really sharp with the chrome and polished aluminum all cleaned up and lookin' good! I'm partial to the red ones but I'll take one of these bad boys in either color. :laughing7:

19. turbospark

turbospark Member

mine says it's black, now is painted red, but will put back in a nice black with silvery/whitish pearls....:headbang:

20. slug

slug Senior Member

When i bought mine it had been repainted from original red including the duck bill, but looked more crimson in colour and wrong tank decal.

[​IMG]

While i was sorting out my failed driveshaft I had the panels painted black with decals from prfixer.

. [​IMG]
    :Whaxatk:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012