1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Progressive fork springs installation. Spacer?

BearHunter Apr 24, 2018

1. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I got a set of Progressive fork springs from fellow member Kawboy.

Do I need to put a spacer on top of them when installing? They seem short compared to the stock one but I have no real comparison since I did not remove the old one's yet.

2. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: They should of come with plastic 2" spacers. I didn't like the plastic ones so I cut 2 2 1/4" spaces from gray 1" O. D. medal conduit pipe. It takes hulk like strength :laughing7: to get the forks caps back in along with the retainer clips.

BearHunter likes this.
  4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I've always used the 1" PVC pipe that they come with and cut 2" spacers out of it and used that. Never had a problem and I figured 2" was enough with out making them too stiff. You can effect damping with different weight oil in the forks.

BearHunter likes this.
  5. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Thank you guys!

6. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Does a 1 inches hardwood dowel can do the work?

7. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Woods to soft. The springs are under a lot of pressure & the fork oil will soften up the wood. I don't recommend it.

8. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I installed them this morning with 2 inches spacers. Did a little road test. WOW!

R. J. likes this.
  9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Rides totally different now doesn't it. :notworthy:. So what did you in up using for spacers. Have you ever changed your forks oil.

10. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Ho yes the ride is totally different! I used pcv pipe and put à washer between the spacer and the spring. Forks oil change was one of the first maintenance I did last winter. And as we say here, it was not a luxury. I put Bel-Ray 20w in them.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  11. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Ho yes the ride is totally different! Totally new bike that now behave on the road accordingly to his agressive look!

I used 1" outside diameter pcv pipe used by electricians that I cut in 2" lenght. I also put a 1" washer between the spacer and the spring.

Forks oil change was one of the first maintenance I did last winter so it was already new. And as we say here, it was not a luxury, oïl was pitch black. I put Bel-Ray 20w in them.

12. rammy1500

rammy1500 Supporting Member

Is there a way to check the fork oil level once you put it all back together and on the bike?

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: No. With springs out & fork fully compressed you measure 6 11/16 inches (170 mm) to the placement of the air cap. I use a 1/4 dowel rod & a gun bore light. It's easier just to do it by volume. IMG_6153.JPG IMG_6154.JPG

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I've never checked the level with forks installed on the bike. I don't see how it could be very accurate that way. Always measured with springs out and forks compressed as shown in the manual.

15. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Rammy, you could get away with changing the oil while on the bike and use the 235ml amount specified in the manual. That is probably the closest you can get without dropping the tubes.

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Yes. The said procedure per manual is mostly for when new fork seals are needed. They have a dry measured amount & one for when just changing the fluid by removing the phillips screws on the bottom of each outer fork tube. Make sure to release any air first. To get even more oil out you can use a shot gun cleaning rod but first remove the springs.

17. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

Are these springs still available? they don't show on their website.:(

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: They are discontinued. Once in a while they show up on E-bay.