1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Put her down for the first time.

MikeC Dec 27, 2018

1. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

My truck battery was dead this morning, so I walked 2 miles to the garage I rent and keep the bike. 20° loaded a battery charger and some jumper cables on the back and headed home. I suited up in Carhartt overalls and leather welding gloves and ski mask. About a mile straightaway to the first turn and DOWN. Wasnt doing more than 25. The tires may as well been hard plastic at that temperature. I was dumb. Thought I was just ez riding. I didn't even know I was going down it was so fast. I slid for 40 feet or so and really smashed my right upper ribs. I could barely stand it up, but I did, but couldn't do anything else. Luckily a good samaritan pulled over and came and pushed it off the road. Don't think my ribs cracked, but they took a beating. Thankfully, I lived to ride another day.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Man, the important thing is that you are alright! Sucks to hear that scraping of machine across the asphalt. Take some inventory and let us know if you need some help.

3. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Sorry to hear this. Putting the bike Down always sucks.

4. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

Ouch! Bummer! But as long as your O.K. the other stuff can be sorted.

5. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

That's why my bikes get put up in the Fall and don't come out of hiding till the Spring. Let us know what all you need to bring 'er back.

Harriminator likes this.
  6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Glad that you are OK. It's good that the out come wasn't worse. :notworthy:. What kind of damage was done to your bike.

7. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Day after is always worse with injuries, how you feeling today?

8. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Thanks all for the replies. Yes the next day was brutal. I've done nothing but rest for a few days besides stretch through the pain. I really have never had that much pain. I slept in a recliner for 2 nights and it hurts to get up or down from anywhere, truck... chair... toilet. I'm ok if I don't move. Yesterday was the worst, I have been moving so carefully and trying to heal, went for a ride to get some food and the sun made me sneeze 2x. I swear to GOD I couldn't handle much more than that. I don't know how I stayed on the road.

The bike suffered minor damage thanks in big part to the crash bars. I cracked off the tachometer, broke my small windshield(dont even care) and front blinker. A small rash, just on the tip on the stainless muffler that can be beaten out and polished. I can repair the tach pretty good with the Aluma-rod Im sure.
    I feel dumb more than anything, because I KNEW better. I'll put some pics up.

9. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

20190102_170958.jpg 20190102_170958.jpg 20190102_171014.jpg 20190102_171132.jpg

10. Fern

Fern Senior Member

Sorry to hear about the accident. I slid and fell a few years ago. I broke a collar bone and had bruised ribs. I can relate to the pain your going through. And yes, little things like sneezing or coughing can cause so much pain after a fall like that. Looks like the ZL did not take too much damage from the pictures. Good luck with your recovery and getting the bike back on the road.

11. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

Thank you. Ouch, broken collar on top of the ribs I can't even imagine. Yes, I was lucky all around, no doubt.

12. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

What a clean bike! Dibs on the part out! J/K... Did the signal ding the tank? Mine has a dimple from the PO tipping it over and I was wondering if the case saver kept the signal from hitting the tank.

Couple of quick questions:
    Where did you get the tail bag?
    Your brake splitter cover has gold Kawasaki, I thought they were just chrome, how and where did you get that done?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  13. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Heal quick. I went down in May of 2010. Cracked a rib and shattered my left lower leg. I was probably doing around 60 mph when I hit the ground. Crutches and physical therapy for 12 weeks. I know how you feel. Crutches were a ***** with the rib injury. It's a process.

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I've only ever laid a bike down (1983 CB 650 Nighthawk) once back in 1986 but was not hurt. I was going to pick up my Wife at work. This girl pulled out in front of me. I grabbed the brakes real hard & the rear wheel came off the ground. The bikes rear end came around & I slide about 80 feet or so while sitting on the right side cover. My left muffler wore a hole through it & my foot peg was grond down. I was drenched in sweat from fear. :laughing7:.