1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Rattle rattle rattle...

Jeffrey A steen Jul 28, 2018

1. Jeffrey A steen

Jeffrey A steen New Member

I've owned one other zl900 and most of, if not all of the ones I've heard run seem to have a noisy top end... just that what I call the" Kawasaki Rattle "... I know about the cam chain tentioner problems with these bikes and have heard one that had a bad case of it but that's not what I'm talking about I'm talking about the annoying rattle that slight but noticable...am I losing my mind or am I right, are they noisy..? Now that I own one of my own it's making me nervous that something might be wrong . Please help..!!!

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: With out hearing it another rattle comes from the starter chain. The auto adjuster gives out. A member offers a KWICK tamer manual adjuster for about $60.

Jeffrey A steen likes this.
  3. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

I have the Kwick manual cam chain tensioner and the alternator chain tensioner from ELS and the valves adjusted on mine
    engine is mostly quiet but there is still some top end rattle at idle that is normal

4. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Can someone produce a "sound" bite?

5. Jeffrey A steen

Jeffrey A steen New Member

It came with a new cam chain and manual tentioner for the cam chain. I finally got the balls to adjust it and it made a world of difference. Still a little noisier than I'd like. I didnt realize you could get a manual tentioner for the starter chain. That's what I'll do if I can. Thank you for the information, I mean that sincerley... I'll start looking for one tomorrow... thanks again... jeff

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member