1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Remodeling

R. J. Jan 27, 2014

1. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Guys I thought I would share my project with you all. We are remodeling are family room. It is 16 ft. x 22 ft. We are doing an out door theme. We painted it in two tone green with a chair rail that is to go up today. We are going to do a laminate floor. Not really sure of what brand & color. Any suggestions are welcomed. I also did a tile floor in our 3rd. bathroom as is the other two.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  2. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

I would do a wood grain laminate floor.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

Paint completed & ready for chair rail.

Attached Files:

4. rammy1500

rammy1500 Supporting Member

I vote for laminate flooring, get the correct vapor barrier/padding for the flooring your going over.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I want some input on color selection for laminate flooring. My chair rail, base board & door molding is stained with 3 coats of golden oak with 3 coats of clear satin urethane. I did a scratch test with a fork. The one showing server scratching is hardwood. The laminate showed scratches but I was able to sort of rub them off with just my fingers.

Attached Files:

6. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

R.J., Just my opinion but I feel that the darker the color the more noticeable the scratch may be. Especially if it is deeper than the surface. Most of the laminate flooring I've seen or dealt with does not have the same color all the way through the product so depending on the severity of the scratch it will dictate what may be visible. Here's a pic of the one floor I did two years ago.

Attached Files:

7. HilbillyRokstar

I would go with a light to medium. I have dark laminate woodgrain floors and they look great..right after you clean them. I don't really have a problem with the scratches showing up near as much as the dust and dirt. 326084_262123750507312_262609094_o.jpg 334382_262123340507353_1475281255_o.jpg

8. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

What is the subfloor made of?

9. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

you retirees have the time for the big projects.
    im jealous.

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Martin I thought the same thing, but my wife is driving me crazy. She can not make up my mind. My home sits on a monolithic concrete slab. 95% of all homes in FL sit on concrete & have no basements.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I built two additions while working full time & it is hard to make progress. I did one 16x24 in 1997 which was a 4th bed room & 3rd bath. The other a 16x32 family room & porch. I took 3 weeks of vacation both times to do the framing, siding & roof so it would get done sooner. My wife & I spent 5 months on the inside. I was working 12 hr days 6 days a week at the time. So the inside went really slow. The only things I did not do was the concrete slab & underground pluming.

12. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

"but my wife is driving me crazy"

Hey R. J., look at it this way. It's going to be a short trip.:rotf::rotf:

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Do you mean to Nutsville or falling.

14. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

Dont forget to add on my spare bed room....:notworthy:.....I WANNA RIDE YEAR ROUND ALSO!!!!!!!:headbang:

15. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I have 2 sheds available. One has room for one more bike & the other for you. It even has power & a window AC. :laughing7:

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Every time my wife & I go to a home improvement store I here I don't know 100 times. :pistols: The thing is the first thing she likes she ends up deciding on it after looking at umpteen million other things. :pistols:

17. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Thats a woman....how long does it take for her to go to the store and find a black shirt? How long does it take a man?? I rest my case...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Xmas shopping is the worst. The first time shopping with her 7 hours in one store. I wanted to run outside onto the interstate in front of a semi truck.

19. HilbillyRokstar

I thought about doing that the last time I took my wife shopping...but I was afraid they might stop in time! :laughing7:

20. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Or hit ya just enough to leave you a veggie & keeping your mind in tacked. At least you would not have to go shopping anymore. :laughing7: