1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Clutch 5/6th gear ZL900

bigdavet Jun 17, 2018

1. bigdavet

bigdavet New Member

I have a question about my 85 ZL900, it has to do with the clutch. When I shift into fifth gear, it feels a little soft, like I have to pull the lever an inch or so before the clutch releases. Same with sixth. Up- or down-shifting. All the other gears are fine. Weak clutch retainer springs, perhaps? I would think that you would feel it through all the gears if that were the case. I don't feel any slipping or anything else unusual, except for the length of the lever pull. Thoughts? (Bone stock '85, 25K miles, runs great)

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Pull your clutch basket and look at your leaf spring to see if it's missing any fingers. The fix is to use the updated springs (2) and nut from the later Connie's (2006).

bigdavet likes this.