1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Specific gravity of the New C**p Fuels!

Trojan441 Aug 3, 2018

1. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

At a Bike meet on Wednesday night was talking to a real nice guy, who had just put his Triumph Trident T150, back on the road after a 34 year rest in the garage! He bought it new from a Dealers now gone, in Sandwich Kent England in 1973, and nearly took it back after 6 days as he thought it was a cumbersome lump after a Rickman framed triumph twin he traded in against it!

Anyway, to the point he had to change his Amal carburettor float bowls through the SG of the new fuels being less dense! I have heard rumours about this type of thing before. It is the general opinion amongst many here that these changes are more about getting carburettor fueled vehicles off the road than anything else, all the brass parts in his carb's had to b replaced too!

If the SG changes considerably then the floats will not operate as they should due to buoyancy differentials and therefore float level inaccuracies. Any thoughts?

2. Ed

Ed Active Member

E10 is less than 1% MORE dense than E0 but the ENERGY density is less which means E10 should be run around 14.2:1 AFR, not 14.7.

3. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

So are you saying only 1% density difference between added ethanol fuels and No-ethanol in the fuel? Everybody is noticing less mpg however!

4. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I'm starting to see E 15 fuel at the pumps now which even the 2018 bikes should not use. More ethonal in the fuel means more money for the farmers. I try to use 0% ethonal fuel. What pisses me off is that non-ethonal fuel is 25 cents more a gal. which is cheeper to produce than corn fed gas.

5. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I can't even find non-ethenol gas around me.

6. Ed

Ed Active Member

Makes sense. Less energy contained in each gallon means less mpg.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  7. Trojan441

Trojan441 Active Member

Not sure about % values yet but I found this statement:
    http://powerplusnsw.com.au/fuel-information/
    There is a big difference in specific gravity between various brands and grades of gasoline, often even between two batches of the same brand. The typical range of premium automotive pump gasoline is .730 to .760; aviation gasoline is .680 to .720; some unleaded racing gasolines are as heavy as .790. Many blends of pump gas now contain as much as 10% ethanol.
    These blends generally fall into the heavier specific gravity range.
    For example: Unocal 76 ® unleaded racing gasoline .788 @ 59°F (15°C).*
    Unocal 76® leaded racing gasoline .728 @ 59°F (15°C).**
    0.924% difference I think!

The specific gravity of gasoline is about 0.72* but varies slightly as discussed. That is, it's about 72 percent the density of water. Since an Imperial gallon of water weighs 10.02 lbs/pounds per gallon, we can easily calculate the density of gas as 7.20 pounds per gallon.

Carburettor systems designed for Leaded petrol,(with tetra-ethyl lead in them), have to first cope with Unleaded fuel, which when it was brought in here in the UK in 1988, this made my Sister's Ford Orion, which was brand new, "run like s**t", the Ford dealers recalled all the cars and retarded the timing, guess what it still "ran like S**t". Also the Tetra-Ethyl lead acted as a lubricant on the valve stems as they ran in the guides, I believe also because it helped to retard detonation, it Tetra-ethyl lead, also had a cooling effect on an engines running temperature!

Our fuel is rising and rising the £'s weak against the Dollar apparently plus other world events!

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: We have quite a few nonethenol gas stations near me. Some as close as 5 mins. away.

9. Ed

Ed Active Member

No E0 close to me. I used to remove the ethanol from 92 octane E10 using distilled water to get 89 E0 which is what I used in my older bikes. Those bikes are gone and ZL can handle E10 with a little routine maintenance if it doesn't get ridden often so I have no need for E0 anymore.

10. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

We just had a Bell store put in in my home town. It is a Marathon station and has non ethanol fuel. It is around a buck more a gallon. There is only 1 other store within this vicinity that has non ethanol fuel.

11. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

About a buck more over regular is what I see round here too. It's worth it to me for the bike and 2 stroke stuff. Riding mower goes through too much to make me put the expensive gas in.

12. VmaxRider

VmaxRider Active Member

I use it in the bikes that don't get ridden much. 2 strokes at least have the oil to help them out, my mower gets pretty good grass mileage and is fuel injected so that helps also. Gotta love those Kawasaki engines. \m/ \m/