1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Stock markets and investing

87kawzl Mar 9, 2020

1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

How bout a general thread on investing in markets.

Today a circuit breaker was hit at -5% markets dropping crazy amounts round the world. Oil price war going on. Dogs and cats living together, it's madness!

I took 25% off the table on the 26th at the beginning of the downturn, straight to money market. I was probably down about 7% at that point but these funds that were sold were up ~25% on the rolling year. I expect the rout to continue through earnings season and companies will report lower numbers moving forward.

Hopefully I can time within 7-10% of the bottom and make some serious cash off this. Buy and hold works well when you're young but as you have a good amount built up and less years to add to it before retirement, prudent trading should pay off.

Good luck to everyone! Let's hear your thoughts.

2. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

Timing is everything with luck being my main strategy. I've been watching. I think it may go up Monday the 18th. But I'm wrong more than I'm right, even it not bottomed I was going to toss some extra in and figure it will play out fine.

3. 87kawzl

I've read different theories on buying back in.
    Buy in on the second of 2 solid up days

Divide the cash by 4 or 5 and buy the 500+ point dips, that seems like the "catching the falling knife" though.

The feds announcement of another round QE didn't jump the market as much as Trump's press conference. I still think if it trends up for a bit there will be another round of sell offs when results for the quarter and forward guidance is announced.

When it does come back it will happen fast since there is a ton of dry powder on the sidelines right now. Good luck everyone, stay healthy!

lowlife likes this.
  4. 87kawzl

Much more satisfying watching a thriving market than an uncertain market. People are going to be hurting real bad in many sectors while a vaccine is developed. Hope the ZL crew comes through with only minor rash after this. Most of us have been through these storms as adults before, 90-91, 01, 08-09 and we know that they don't last forever. Best of luck out there.

5. lowlife

I was looking for some physical silver or gold bullion as I will stuff some away when the prices are low to diversify. Good luck everything is sold out. Oh well just keep watching.

6. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Only invested once for the Wife and the Greek guy ran off with the money, She should have had £21,500 repaid, didn't get one single penny back! The money world never interested me till 2008 and I tried to fathom out what happened and after watching everything i could about the crash n' World Financial contagion, decided that the speculators driven by greed & recklessness are Sociopaths and I wouldn't ever run my house and home life finances as stupidly as they do! The "City" and Wall Street seem to be a mix of an Elitist Betting Shop and Ponzi scheme ring-fenced and benefiting the very rich and in the main not the ordinary man, but then I do not know that much about this World, but my instinct always tell me to beware and generally stay clear...Now I feel is a very dangerous time for many as he Economy grinds to a halt, many will be much poorer over the next few months I believe in truth difficult times for us all are ahead!

7. lowlife

Whaaaaaaat? Those 4 senators weren't playing the system.... honest, it just looks sounds and smells that way.

Trojan441 likes this.
  8. 87kawzl

It only became against the law for them in 2012, think about that for a minute. They were free from prosecution for that crap before that. They work hard for their money :rolleyes: and become millionaires on 120k salaries in short order.