1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Stumbled on another ZL1000

JohnH#II Nov 30, 2019

1. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Was sitting around yesterday evening and a friend called. Tells me of a bike he saw that was in his friend garage that he might sell. My friend says that he thought of me when he saw it. It had already turned dark and I wasn't doing anything, so I figured I would go look. Hooked up the trailer, filled the portable air tank, basic tools, battery and spay lubricant. Off I go.

Sitting for unknown amount of time. Someone put a lot of time in it at one point. The price was right. It has a title signed over to me now. More pictures and detail later today.

Attached Files:

R. J. likes this.
  2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Nice score!
    Looks like a great winter project.

In PA it's not good enough to have a signed title. It's always a good idea to go straight to the notary and make things official.

Can't wait to see some more pics!

3. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

NC also is one of the worst states as far as DMV and titles are concerned. This bikes title is signed and also notarized. I have a zl9 frame with an NC title that is worthless. It was titled to a business and that business is no longer busy. Suppose I could always make a drag bike out of it.

4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Looks like Gouss will have a customer for the repop side cover he has in the works.

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Sweet. :notworthy:. In FL as long as the title is signed you can have it transfered to your name. If a bike was made before 1984 you don't need a title just a bill of sale.

6. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

My black ZL10 needs those repops that Gouss has. This new one doesn't even have an air box.

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Is their a thread on these reproduction chrome air box covers.

8. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Just messing around with this thing today. Some things, like a 10+ year old rusted power port, had to go. Old battery. When I bought it, at night in the dark for the price it was coming home.

Has some dents and dings here and there. Some of the seat seams are coming apart. Looks like ZL9 handlebars. Square mirrors. Back tire (170) needs replaced. Paint is not original. It probably was really nice at one time but is failing. It's a metallic deep red. The rims have the center part painted close to the same color.

Someone went crazy with chrome. Almost everything you can take off is chromed. The swingarm....... CHROME! Some has held up ok and some has not.

Attached Files:

9. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Yes. Saw it in the Parts section yesterday

10. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When aluminium parts are chromed it doesn't last long. I was told some type of chemical reaction takes place. My powdercoat guy explained it to me but it went over my head. :laughing7:.

11. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

I drained all the oil. It was thick and dark. Replaced with Rotela and K&N filter. Checked the coolant. It checks good on a coolant meter and all the hoses appear good. Flushed the gas tank. It was empty. Someone has Creamed it. Petcock needs rebuild as it flows not running. Had a set of plugs but when I took the ones in it out they were clean and new looking.

Took a test gas tank and hooked up a good battery. Turns on, starter runs good, won't run. Every once in awhile it makes a lub pub noise. It's dark and raining so I stopped. Start again in the morning.

Any words of wisdom would be good. I am not a mechanic but I'm getting better at wrenching.

Attached Files:

12. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

I had did a lot of chrome work to a ZL9 some 20 years ago. Even had a custom extended back rest for the little lady. All chromed. It's just not my taste now.

13. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

More pictures.

Attached Files:

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Your black ZL 10 looks premo. :notworthy:. What bike is the gray colored one in pic # 3.

15. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

The gray/primer bike is a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750.

16. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: What color are you going to paint the Zephyr.

17. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Was thinking kawasaki lime green. Still some projects in front of that though. Have a friend that has been after it. He is close with his last offer but the Zephyr is even less seen around these parts then a ZL.

Here is a picture something like I'm planning.

Attached Files:

18. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

Well I have been playing with the newly acquired ZL10 and it just ain't gonna run today. Still can get any fire. I have a ZL9 I'm working on and the water pump on my black ZL10 still on the front burners. I want to finish them before diving into this one. I will try not to rob too much off it while it's sitting.

19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: I'll be finishing up the water pumps Tuesday. Things got really out of contol for me this past week. I didn't know if I was going to get my head above water. :laughing7:.

20. JohnH#II

JohnH#II Active Member

No problem RJ. It's getting cold and rainy and I have plenty to ride on a chance warm sunny day.