1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech doc discussion: Fork Overhaul

zlMark Apr 21, 2009

1. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

LOWLIFE, can we get some part numbers for the seals and wipers? I just looked at parts depot parts unlimited catalog and they don't show a wiper part# just the seal

3. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

I bought the seals from Dennis Kirk but did not replace my dust boots as these were in good shape.
    Dennis Kirk Part #: 14571
    Price $21.99
    moab...

4. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

92093-1197 is the Kawi number. 10.00ea... Don't believe they are available aftermarket...could be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Seals:

Parts Unlimted brand: FS-043 Parts Depot $9.95 pair
    Leak Proof Brand: 7255 Parts Depot $22.95 pair
    OEM Kawasaki: 92049-1230 Parts Depot 9.84 ea

Dust Seal(Wiper):

OEM Kawasaki: 92093-1197 Parts Depot 9.57 ea
    No aftermarket sources yet to be found other than eBay pyramidparts(not yet proven!)

6. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist/ Supporting member Technical Author Supporting Member

See I told you I could be wrong

7. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

Just a little update. To remove the inner 'tube'( the bit that bolts to the bottom of the forkleg) you will need to remove the retaining clip before it comes out of the top of the chrome tube/slider. I did this as I wanted to give all the parts a good clean ( there was water in my legs).
    When putting back together the small spring needs to be fitted to the inner tube , inserted into the chrome tube/slider and then the retaining clip replaced.

Hope that makes sense!

8. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Water in legs is always bad...:laughing7:

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: That's something that has never happened to me. :laughing7:.

10. rammy1500

rammy1500 Supporting Member X2

What do you use to remove the cap head screw at the bottom of the forks?

11. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

The tool is the right size allen key. If you undo them first before you take the spring out, the reststance should allow it to unscrew.
    I actually undid them with the forks still clamped in the bike...as i said...more water came out than oil!!

12. rammy1500

Do you remember if is is metric or SAE allen key? The forks are still in the bike, but I have removed the springs. I heard using an impact helps too.

13. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Metric for sure. You should be able to use a box end wrench on the short end of the Allen key to gain some leverage while the long end goes up the lower (outer) fork tube

14. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It takes a 5 or 6 mm allen wrench. Use a good quality one. I use an allen socket with a 1/2 inch drive rachet. You might want to turn the forks upside down and put liquid wrench down on the allen bolts and let them sit over night. Doing this makes the bolts come out much easier.

15. rammy1500

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how they turn out, put new old seals in last year but trailer it to Daytona blew the seals out.

16. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

All good suggestions and I also use a allen socket with ratchet. If you'll leave the springs in you can reach up in there after the tire and axle comes out and break it loose.

R. J. likes this.
  17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Before I put liquid wrench on the allen bolts I wrap tape around the bottom of the outer forks at the slits so that the penetrant stays on and around the allen bolt heads.

18. rammy1500

Thanks for all the great advice, here is my twist in case I ever have to do it again. I left the forks in the triple clamps for most of the job. Also, I picked up long stem metric allen hex sockets from HF, tried using my 3/8 impact, but had to use 1/2 inch impact and 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and the bolts came right out of the bottom. Also used 1.5 inch PVC pipe to seat the new seals in, which was the only time I had to remove the forks from the bike and of course to clean the forks. Note to myself, don't do a half ass job the first time, I did not disassemble the forks just replaced the seals, but all the dirt and grime did not come out and just ended up ruining the new seals. I'll be happy if I get 30+ years on this set of seals and rebuild.

87kawzl likes this.
  19. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: So the first time you just popped out the old fork seals. The second time did you completely take the forks apart to get all the old fork oil and all the crud out. What brand and weight fork oil did you use.

20. rammy1500

Yes, a half ass job the first time, full tear down and cleaning the second time. I put 15 weight in the first time, still a little soft, so went with 20 this time since as you know, I'm a big boy.

R. J. likes this.