1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

To Cafe or bring back to respectable rider condition

87kawzl Feb 15, 2019

1. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

110216-dukes-den-1977-yamaha-xs750-f.jpg So my brother has this model in the collection of junk he has amassed. It isn't too bad of condition and has been up and running a couple of years ago. I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on condition and it has pretty clean original paint with no dents on tank. I could bring it back to stock good condition fairly easily.

But...

I was thinking about making him an offer and doing some work to it with this sort of bike as my inspiration for seat and clip ons. But open up behind the engine and Bob the front fender like the last pic.
    Yamaha-XS750-Cafe-Racer-6.jpg
    1384351802.jpg

What yin's think? Looks to me like it's just begging to be chopped up

2. GaryD

GaryD Supporting Member

Like the sound those triples make....but pretty uninteresting other than that.

Go for the custom.

3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: What year & model is it. I'd do the stock look. :notworthy:.

4. 87kawzl

77' 750D

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: That was the best year for me. Senior in High School. Had an old Mopar, Duel Sport bike, 2 Motocross bikes & a Yamaha snow machine. All bought & paid for by me. :notworthy:.

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I'd say that it would bring more money as a custom over stock since that model isn't collectable.

7. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

I have to agree with Markus on this one.

That particular bike just wasn’t as awe inspiring as some in stock trim.

A good way to balance this statement about collectible is my cousin Sammy had one of them but when ever we talk about bikes he never states anything about wishing he still had it or finding one but only ridding my ZL a few times back in he day he almost always askes if I’d sell one of mine to him or askes about any for sale.

My vote is for something close to the second pic as it has some appeal to it.

8. 87kawzl

I really dig the stripped out look of the second one. My brother always brings up the torque steer from the shaft when he talks about riding it. From most of the modded ones I see it looks like there wouldn't be much to buy, the carbs are a bear to tune but triumph 900 tripple are a good repalcement and fully tuneable. I think the 850 top end fits as well if I need more power and want to spend more.

Should be a fun project that will sell if I want to move it along when it's done and it's not my thing.

Now to start lo-balling my brother...

9. Ed

Ed Active Member

The driveshaft only affects the up and down motion of the bike. A chain drive tends to squat and a shaft lifts. Only bikes with longitudinally mounted engines have a torque induced lean.

10. 87kawzl

That was the least typing I could think of to splain the crappy way it would want to stand up on ya when powering out of a corner.

11. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

i like the custom look

12. Ed

Ed Active Member

That's an easy bike to build into a cafe racer style. It already has all right shapes and angles unlike my scrapped ZL600 project.

13. Ed

Ed Active Member

One thing I don't like is those early Yamaha cast wheels. They were heavy and porous so they weren't tubeless.

14. 87kawzl

Sealed the deal, I will post up some pictures when I drag it home and as I get it street worthy again.