1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Top speed for each gear?

BearHunter May 26, 2018

1. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

I have seen this information somewhere but I can’t remember where exactly.

What is the maximum speed you can get at each gear? ZL900 of course. ;)

2. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Good question all I know is my top end is 128:dontknow:

3. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Go to the artical thread. Cycle & Cycle World has the stats on top speed in each gear. My ZL 1000 topped out at 145 MPH.

4. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

5. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

:hello:Speedometer error.:laughing7: Try it w/ GPS-app...:geek:

6. DirtyRider

DirtyRider Member

With the 170/80-15 rear tire that most run, it seems to me that the Speedo error would be effectively corrected.

7. Harriminator

IMO the prob is the speedo showing too much like they all do, not more or less rpm depending on tire size. The faster the wronger, so GPS or digital one programmed w/ right factor.

8. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

Th rear tire has nothing to do with the MPH indicated. That is all done by the front tire.

9. BearHunter

BearHunter Member

Talking about speedomeeter error, I did a test yesterday with my GPS. When the speedo is at 100km/h, I'm actually going 92-93 km/h.

10. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Measured top speed when a magizine tests a bike is at the 1/2 mile mark.

11. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

For the record, the Jap bike manufacturers have always lied about speed. From the factory speedos are set up to read much higher than the actual speed. Probably helps sell bikes. The error is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%+. Hate to burst some of you guys' bubbles, but your bikes aren't nearly as fast as you think they are. An easy way to find out approx how far off your is, is take it out on the highway and peg it at 60 and time from mile marker to mile marker. If accurate it will take exactly 60 secs to go 1 mile. 60mph = 1 mile per minute = 1 mile per 60 seconds. I do this with all my vehicles. My Chevy truck has always read a bit high which is fine by me. Probably has saved me a ticket or two.

12. 87kawzl

87kawzl Well-Known Member

"I was doin' 150 miles an hour sideways
    And 500 feet down at the same time
    Hey, I was lookin' for the cops
    Cuz' you know
    Hey I knew that it, it was illegal"

The motorcycle song, Arlo Guthrie

13. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It's kind of hard to do the mile marker thing while riding a bike. How do you know if the hung over mile marker puter in the ground guy put it in the right place. :laughing7:. The GPS is easier.

14. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

As a past compeditor in top speed events, We have tested the speedos at silly speeds.
    First. Legally speedos only need to realatively accurate at legal speeds...How would anyone ever know their speedo is wrong at 90mph 'coz we don't break the law.:laugh:
    Second. The old analogue speedos are by run friction or magnets so almost inmpossible to calibrate to to be accurate even over a short part of the range.
    Third. I took my ZX12R ( with big pistons, cams etc. ) to 203.5MPH verified. GPS showed 203.2. Digital speedo showed 219. (10% error).
    It showed roughly 10% error over the whole range....i.e 27-28 at 30 etc.
    So even digital ones are set by the manufacturer to have a saftey buffer.

15. ZLrider

ZLrider Well-Known Member

Interesting point, but not an issue. Just do it more than once, eh? Actually those damn things seem to be very accurate. When doing this, there is no reason not to repeat several times and those times have always been exactly the same, so I'd say your point it moot. BTW we all don't have GPS capabilities you know. If you're referring to using your cell phone, sounds like a bad idea to mess with your phone while riding. A glance at your watch seems safer as well as simpler. I like the old adage: KISS

16. Harriminator

17. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

"If you're referring to using your cell phone"

Just set your app and it'll record your speed, including max speed. So if your needle hit 70 and never went over, then your GPS app will show how close to 70 you were.
    All done after your ride while sitting in your armchair.

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I have a GARMIN GPS that mounts to my bars using a RAM Mount. IMG_6201.JPG IMG_6202.JPG IMG_6200.JPG

19. Harriminator

:hello:You can lose keys, sunglasses or whatever...but get back home every time.:laughing7:

R. J. likes this.
  20. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I've never lost a set of keys for a bike. I still have a set from my first bike. A 1974 Honda XL 70. :laughing7:.