1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn signal replacement

Bump Aug 11, 2013

1. Bump

Bump Member

I bought 4 aftermarket turn signals for my 85 Zl900. They all came with two wires. The front ones on my bike have 3?
    How am I to handle this issue? Right now it appears my approach hasn't worked and I'm afraid I've fried the Turn Relay. Can aftermarket relays work on my bike or am I stuck trying to find a OEM replacement? Bump

2. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

The 3rd wire is running lights. The bulb stays on all the time. You can just tape the end of the running light wire and leave it disconnected, no problem.

The brown (or blk/yel?) wire is ground. Whichever wire is hot with the key on, signals off, is the running light.

There are aftermarket signals with running lights. There are some that look like the originals (K&S brand I think) and some that are much better looking. I don't care for the giant lollipop look myself. Lockhart makes some nice ones.

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. kawboy

As for aftermarket turn relay - yes, I got one from auto-zone. Don't have the number handy, but I believe pretty much any 3-prong one should work.

If you have LED signals, you'll need an electronic turn relay.

4. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Bikemaster also makes some that are really close to the oem's look. Search the site - there are part numbers on here somewhere I think. Later.

5. Blue-Grass-Tornado

Blue-Grass-Tornado _________________________ BANNED

You should have been able to get a 3 wire aftermarket turn signal from K&S. Be warned though, they do not fit as well as the originals, Markus can spot a reproduction from a mile away. In fact, he found one on my red ZL9 and I hadn't even noticed!

6. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Word to the wise.........if you value the look and fit of the OEM signals, better snatch them up as quick as you see them. The rears for both big bikes have been gone for quite some time and the fronts are on back order as we speak so I'd grab them as you see them......regardless whether you need them or not! I do every chance I get! :thumbsup:

7. Illby1

Illby1 Senior Member Supporting Member

I agree with Markus....
    I have made 2 trips to VMD and have broken a signal each year!! First year the front right one, and this year the rear left one. The stem dries out and gets brittle, eventually they dry rot and break. I have not spent much time looking yet, but I will need to find something soon, the tape job doesn't look the best!!! :laughing7:

Scotty B

8. Bump

Bump Member

I tried it with every possible combination and it didn't work? I hooked up my old lights to see if the relay was grabbing my butt, the old light worked as designed along with the hazard switch so at least I now know the relay isn't fried.
    Bob

9. kawboy

Do the new signals have "regular" bulbs, or are they LED's?

If you have LED's the stock flasher relay will not work.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. kawboy

right front - blk/yel is negative, gry is positive, blue is running light and would not be used on a 2-wire signal

left front - blk/yel is negative, grn is positive, blue is running light and would not be used on a 2-wire signal

work on one side at a time, leave the other side disconnected. When you get one side working, hook up the other side the same way.

11. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Are there issues with the length of the threads between front & rear making the ones from moma Kaw a pita to cover the obesolete signals?

12. Bump

Bump Member

This is what I got.
    In the bike wiring harness I have 3 wires, blk/yellow or ground, blue and grey on both the right and left turn signals.
    On the replacement light I have 2 wires. Orange affixed to the metal light bulb canister, a green wire that is affixed to connector that meets with the bottom of the actual bulb.
    Bob

13. golddrakul

golddrakul Senior Member

Orange should got to blk/yel for ground, green wire contacting bottom of the bulb should go to gray wire on one side, green wire on other. I know you said two gray, one is probably faded green or has been replaced. If your not sure which is which, hook up the orange and then either of the grays to a green on the light.Try your turn signal both ways, note if it turns on with L or R. Mark with a piece of tape, wire it permanently to to the correct side, and hook the other gray/green wire to the other side.

14. psychocyclist

psychocyclist Member

Another question for any ZL1000 connoisseurs out there: where is the flasher relay located on the ZL1000? Also, thanks for all the help with the carburetors. I got new boots for between the carburetors and the air box and everything went in nice and tight! The important thing being that everything finally WENT IN!! The old rubber boots were REALLY HARD compared to the new ones! It was IMPOSSIBLE to reinstall the OLD boots! Your recommendation of NEW rubber boots was perfect! Thanks again and again!

15. kawboy

The flash relay is under the right side-cover.

16. Jason Graham

Jason Graham Member

I'm sorry for the necromancy but I thought I might interject a little wisdom here. A while back I needed a flasher relay so I grabbed one off of my other bike. Also a Kawasaki, and even closer, it was also a Kawasaki that follows the same formula as the Eliminator. You know, take a Ninja motor and put it in a cruiser frame. My other bike is a Vulcan 500. The flasher relay from the 500 caused the wiring harness to melt as soon as the key was turned on. So no, indeed all 3 prong relays are not the same.