1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Valve clearance adjustment

ARCHIVE_jacemdom Jun 19, 2006

1. ARCHIVE_jacemdom

ARCHIVE_jacemdom Guest

Air filter

Salut.

What is the air filter installed on the bike that you can see on the second picture of the "whats changed" section of this site?

http://www.markzl900.tk/

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

I had a little noise so i thought i would remove the valve cover to see what was up. Had a few that were a tad loose,, al is quiet now! Job took <3hrs.
    here are some pics,, good day to work on the bike!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

thats a familiar site ! looks clean in that engine mark ! judging by the first photo, you are rite ! perfect day to work on the bike. cheers to a job well done !! CHRIS

4. colin

colin Active Member

Did you reuse the valve cover gasket with the gasgacinch? And do you go by the marks for checking each valve or do you just move the lobe to the farthest point from the rocker?
    Thanks!!

5. gosupes

gosupes Senior Member Supporting Member

The rockers on bikes are a bit different from rockers on car engines. The lobes don't have the egg shape you would see on a car you you can get incorrect readings. For consistency, the adjustments should be made according to the manual which means setting the clearance with the timing marks lined up.

6. colin

colin Active Member

Thanks Gosupes. On my old Gpz 750 turbo, I had done the valve adjustments myself ( shim under bucket- not fun) by following the procedure in the manual. Then when I took the bike in to have a valve job done the mechanic had told me to do it by moving the lobe to the farthest point-, measured by your feeler gauge. As I look back, I have been wondering how good that mechanic was!!:) That bike was a lot of fun when it ran right, but that wasn't often!
    Thanks for the answer.

7. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

If the lobe on the cam is pointing away from the rocker then adjust those valves, simple as that

8. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

[​IMG]

I could have swore I posted this last night?

9. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

On my race motors I used to turn say the intake valve to max lift then adjust the exhaust valve on the same cyl, will this work on the eli? Got rid of any questions of overlap, duration etc. I've seen asymetrical cams that left me wondering if i was all the way off the ramp

10. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

If you do it like the book suggests then you will be wondering if you are still on the lobe, I've done it. That is why I say point the lobe away from the rocker and adjust it, no need to replace timing cover gasket as I bump it over with the starter.

I use 2 feeler guages on the rocker so it's not tilting on the rocker shaft.

2 ways you can adjust. adjust for max clearance to give the valves a lil more room to wear up into head or adjust for max lift/duration.

11. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

DAD & I, just finished the valve job, on his bike ! all valves on both intake & exaust, were seriously tight, before we started ! tomorrow, we will fire the bike up ! :cool10: CHRIS

12. Kawasaki-krazy

Kawasaki-krazy Senior Member

:yeahthat: It's the ONLY way to get good results IMHO

KK

13. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Hey CHRIS, does Marty's bike run better after the adjustments?

14. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

<bump>

15. zot

zot Senior Member Supporting Member

**** that was clean in there! Mine was not that pretty when I opened her up...sludge. Ran two cap ful of "Sea Foam" through a couple idles and now it barely looks like yours.

16. WALTSTAR

WALTSTAR Well-Known Member

Without Seeming Combative, The Engineers At Kawasaki Have Unlimited Resources (compared To Most Of Us) And Designed The Engine. I Personally Have & Would Follow Kawasaki's Instructions On Adjusting The Valves. Adjusting Them The Old School Small Block Chevy Way Might Actually Be Depriving You Of Power Although It Might Not Neccessarily Damage The Engine.

Just Something To Think About.

17. KawTipper

KawTipper Senior Member

OK. I adjusted the valves on Monday, took about four hours. With the help of this post and Lowlife's post in the Tech section and Kroider911 bragging about how his ZL starts in the cold now, all is good. One piece of advise would be. When removing the coils, start with the right one, then remove the vacum control and you can then access the front bolt for the left coil without removing the thermostat housing.
    Thanks guys!! :headbang:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  18. SnakeDoctor

SnakeDoctor Senior Member

^ You're green lettering is a pain to read.

19. SO CAL ZL

SO CAL ZL Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Ditto on the painful green lettering....talk about TOUGH ON THE EYES...!!

20. KawTipper

KawTipper Senior Member

Sorry. I thought this was a KAWASAKI board!!:rotf: