1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to buy or trade for ZL1000 black tank

markus56 Jun 24, 2018

1. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

As the title says, looking for a good ZL1k tank in black for the restoration I'm doing at this time. I'm only a couple of weeks from completion so I'm ready to buy now if there's one out there. The one that came with the bike had a mount that leaked and someone has repaired it with JB Weld. Yeah, that crap's not holding 100% and will be a nightmare trying to get it off to weld it right now so I'm gonna' go with a different tank if I can. It will be a long process getting that tank usable now so I'm trying to get a replacement. This bike is sweet with only 3700 miles on it so the tank needs to be a pretty good one! I know this is one of the most difficult parts to get for one of these bikes and I'm willing to trade other very hard to get parts for this tank if you don't want to sell it outright. Somebody please help me out!

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Sand blasting will take care of the JB weld if ya can't find a tank soon enough. Good luck in your search.

3. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

Hope you find what your looking for Markus56. We would love to see some pictures of your project. Also whats going to happen with it when your done. Keep or sell? PM me if you want.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Man, that J.B. weld is some hard stuff but yeah, maybe sand blasting would take it off. I'm gonna' try that but I'll still buy one if any is out there. The bike is the project I've had on my rack for well over a year now bringing it back to it's former glory. Original black bike and you can tell by looking at the parts that the low mileage is true but it's been sitting so long that everything mechanical had to be gone through real good. I bought it to sell when done and that's what I'll do with it......but it is tempting to keep it. Gonna' rebuild the forks, brakes, meters, master cylinders, and get the tank lined out and then she'll be ready to go. The long term storage was in a garage so all the plastic, etc. is all still real nice. It's gonna' look new for sure!

5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Just read up on j&b weld, use a scotch Brite wiz wheel for most of it then heat it up with a heat gun to pick it away.

6. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: MarkUS: I have a spare ZL 10 tank but it is most likely no better than what you have. I'm going to have my welder Casey do the mounting points & my painter Dave/John paint it but that won't happen anytime soon. What's a good tank going for now days.

7. markus56

$500.00 seems to be the number for a tank that needs no welding or painting. Thanks for the pointers on removal 87kawzl.....I'm sure gonna' be workin' on it this week to try to come up with somethin'. This sure was a stupid way for the factory to do these mounts. They should've done 'em like they did to many tanks in the day......with the horns welded to the frame that the tank slides up on. Honda used that design too as did many others. If you look at the ZL1k mounts, there's just one spot weld holding each mount and that just doesn't get it over time.

8. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Also take into consideration that a ZL 10 tank weighs about 40 lbs. when full of fuel takes a toll on those spot welds. MarkUS I have a proposition for you. I need a front rim & passanger hand rails. You can bring the tank & rear fender along with the parts I need to VMD. I'll get your & my tank welded. I'll get my painter to shoot your parts in exchange I'll ship the painted parts back to you for free. John/Dave wants $175 to paint the parts. I know I said $150 but to do the under side is an extra $25. So what do you think. Also since I have 6 gal of EVAPORUST I can clean the inside of the fuel tank for you.

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Labor for Casy to weld the tanks mounting taps will be some where between $20 & $30.

10. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

You want to go back to raw aluminum instead of the black powder coat on your bike RJ?

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: No I just need the hand rails.

12. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

Shame your not this side of the pond...I have a spare tank. Would need a paint to make it perfect though.

13. markus56

GaryD, would you be willing to ship it to the states? R.J., your proposition sounds doable if I weren't riding a bike to VMD (if I even go). I don't have a front rim anyway....no parts bikes here. After buffing out the fender, I've decided not to paint it. Also, I'm not real comfortable shipping a freshly painted tank like that half way across the country without getting damaged in some way. I'll try to get it done locally before I try that. Thanks for the offer though.

14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: You are welcome Mark. When I got my NOS tank in the mail for the 250 Eliminator it must of been wrapped in 30 feet of bubble wrap. :laughing7:.

15. GaryD

GaryD Active Member

I'd consider it but unless you know someone in the trade...the shipping will probably put it over priced....

Also they are much more common over there (sigh).

But saying that...pm me you email address and I'll send some photos

16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I bought a used ZL 10 OEM seat form a member. The seat was $50 & the shipping was $60 and that was from KY to FL USA. :pain10:.

17. kvalheim

kvalheim Well-Known Member

You got screwed on the shipping R.J.:pk:

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Ya I thought so but everyone else wanted $250 just for the seat.