1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of mileage do ya get?

rkerg May 10, 2009

1. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

There has been some discussion about this lately and today I remembered to top off my tank before I went for a ride to check my bike.
    I got 34 MPG today. Not great but not bad either. Last year I got better but, I was using one of those little dirt bike in line filters with the tiny holes. Now I am running a nice filter I found at Napa that is the right size and is thin enough to fit between my pods. The first thing I noticed after I installed it was more power at low speeds and RPMs.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

my last tank,got 36mpg.That was a 50mile trip,and the rest was just ripping around.So not bad.

3. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

My trip to the bike shop and one dyno run this weekend netted me 29 mpg on the 85 zl with the connie zg1 motor, but the ride down there was at high rate of speed. Didnt do any other mpg tests as of yet.

4. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

So you've got a real highway beast too, huh Paul? That Connie motor is like having a whole 'nother gear on the highway! As long as I'm reasonable with the throttle, I'm getting 38mpg with the Connie motor and stock ZL1k carbs.

5. K-Ray

K-Ray Well-Known Member

my '85 ZL9 with me hot rodding has got down to 22mpg now if I'm easy on the throttle I can get up to 38mpg ....

6. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

Yep its a hole lot better at Highway cruise than before. I am gonna have to do some normal rideing and see what kind of MPG I am getting. The carbs are stock zl9 and seem to be letting just a bit more fuel in than the connie motor needs down low so an adjustment of the Idle screws or pilot jets should fix that.

Just comparing the most recent dyno printout from last years with the same bike it seems like I picked up 12 mph in fourth gear. Last year same tires the dyno said it only did 114mph in 4th gear and this year it hit 126mph.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  7. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

On my 9 I get 23 MPG....Most I ever got was about 25 MPG...That is taking it easier than easy...If I rip hard on it for a tank I might get 21...I don't know what in the heck is wrong with it...I hope to tear into it again soon and do some digging....

My ZL1 I am not gonna guess yet, because my fuel tap is screwed...new pingel sitting here but I got things to do to get ready to wrok on both bikes....I don't know how in the hell you guys are getting 38

Willy

8. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I just got 38.14 mpg with one of my ZL1000's on the way to see Paul and Don at the dyno tests. That was running 65 to 68 mph on the highway. Might have been a little better if I didn't have a leaking gas tank.

9. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

We don't cruise at 90mph!!

10. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

24 mpg on my 900 (all in town, and a fair amount of "full throttle" starts) with the Holeshots and stage 2, no advancer yet and I am still running 3 turns out on the air screws like Dale Walker sez....But I am gonna lean it out cuz it's running real rich!
    Please also keep in mind that I just rebuilt all 4 of my carbs, so it's prolly as efficient as its gonna get in terms of smooth operating carbs.
    Keep y'all posted!
    moab...

11. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Less than half throttle (more like 1/4 throttle)....Not above 6,000 on the tach...Top speed 60 MPH in 6th gear

The most I ever got was on a run back home from Indy...Was riding with a buddy who was on a full dress Harley....We never topped 60 mph...No wind to speak of....I think I got about 50-52 miles when I had to flip to reserve...That is 2 gallons of gas...So that is about 25-26 mpg

I have had two sets of carbs on the bike...I have had both sets at all stock settings, stock needles, stock pilots and stock mains...screws out about 2 1/8- 2 1/4 turns...Stock air box with the Cobra slip ons...Recently went back to stock mufflers...Mileage the same...I usually go to reserve at 46-47 miles and that is 2 gallons used...New plugs, new wires and new resistor ends right from Kaw...Trip odometer checked with milemarker markings...Speedo compared to other "known good" speedos....

I am up for suggestions...

Next on the list is putting a set of Dyna coils on the bike and checking all connections I can check, clean and grease...Pull side cover and check for an advancer, check cam chain, guides, tensioner and adjust valves again..

Unless it is just a tired motor, but it is only at 26,000 miles. No vacuum leaks, carb holders all in good shape, tight, etc. :help::help::help:

Willy

12. Wstar425

Wstar425 Well-Known Member

I get around 32-35 mpg, but this made me think of something else. MY ZL speedo is off about 6 miles from the V65's which are off about 6 miles from the car. So, I wonder if that might mean I am putting on more miles than I think I am, which would affect the mileage.

The car at 60 mph, I would have to run the V65 around 65-66, I have to run the ZL around 72 to REALLY be doing 60 mph. We discovered this when riding together, when the ZL is in front at 65, the Honda is going around 59 mph. I'm not smart enough to figure out what that all means, I just know they are way off. I think I have the OEM tire size on the back, but I don't have it here to look at right now.

13. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Wow. So your ZL's speedo is off by 12 mph? Is that right? Are you sure that the cars speedo is correct? I have checked my bikes trip meter with road mileage markers and it is pretty accurate, have you ever done that?

14. rkerg

rkerg Senior Member

Willy, just out curiosity, when you are in 6th gear and your tach is reading 6000, about how fast are you going?

15. K-Ray

K-Ray Well-Known Member

I keep sea foam in my ZL9 most off the time. it really seems to help keep the carbs clean and it helps the gas when the bike ends up setting for a month , not that that happens a lot but we do have five bikes and at times we are on the go every weekend.

:notworthy: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html :notworthy:

16. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

I will have to check my 6th gear 6,000 rpm speed....I am not sure what it is...

Hey Mark....I gotta challenge for ya....If my mileage does not improve for me by VMD, we can swap bikes, go to the gas station and fill up...Set trip odometer to Zero and I will give you a crisp $100 bill if you can get the trip odometer to 50 before my 9 has to flip to reserve....No cheating..No pulling it behind a car with a rope...Just drive it any way you like and see if you hit over 50 miles before reserve...

Willy

17. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Do I get to work on it first??

18. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

Tell you what....

When I get the coils replaced and the wiring all checked and cleaned and the repaint done, if my mileage does not improve, I will trailer this bike to your house and let you work on it and see what you can find on it....

I am at a complete loss as to why my mileage is so pi$$ poor....

Willy

19. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Cam timing wrong??

20. WillyD

WillyD Senior Member

After seeing what Paul found on his ZL1 with the cams installed wrong, I am not counting anything out..I have no idea what could have been done to this thing by previous owner(s)....For all I know it could have the wrong cams in it....When I get to a point where I start to take some things apart, I am gonna be looking closely and asking alot of questions...

#1...my mileage sucks as compared to others who have basically a stock bike like mine

#2...When I bought mine, it had PODS, stage 3 and the Cobra's on it

#3...When I got it, it was a hard starting SOB when cold

If I thought it was just a boosted HP bad m-f'er and ran stronger than a stock ZL9, I would understand all the previous, but here is the thing...I think it is lagging behind what a stock ZL9 should do, mileage-wise and performance-wise...I am not gonna get into the whole ZL9 versus the ZL1, but when it comes to my two bikes as they sit today, my 9 is nowhere near my 1K....Not in performance off the line or midrange power and nowhere near the roll-on...and after I get the pingel on the 1K, I think my mileage will even be pretty darn good...I know the roll-on on a 1K is far superior than the 9, but my 1K kills my 9 at every aspect....If they were pretty close, I would say for both being stock that it was cool, but I know that is not the case....I don't believe so anyway...

Willy