1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

What Octane do you use in your ZL?

SandstoneSmitty May 9, 2008

?

What Octane do you use in your ZL?

1. Regular, usually 87 Octane

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Mid-grade, usually 89 Octane

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Premium, usually 92 or 93 Octane

51 vote(s)
    66.2%
  4. Use Octane Boosters

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. What is Octane? At today's gas prices I push my ZL around screaming "Barr-room, Barr-room"

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. SandstoneSmitty

SandstoneSmitty Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Due to the raising cost of gas, I wonder why I am still putting Premium in my ZL. Last year a few cents for the ‘Good Stuff’ was easy, now at $4.00/gal I am asking: “Is high octane a requirement or a luxury?â€

Octane Myths
    * High octane gasoline improves mileage.
    In general, if your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, high octane gasoline will not improve mileage. If switching to high octane gasoline does improve mileage, you might find that your engine, or its control systems, need repair.
    * High octane gasoline gives quicker starting.
    No, it doesn’t.
    * High octane gasoline increases power.
    If your car is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, you shouldn’t notice any more power on high octane gasoline. Again, if it does make a noticeable difference, your engine, or the engine’s electronic control systems, may need repair.
    * High octane gasoline has been refined more – it is just a better product.
    Additional refining steps are used to increase the octane; however, these additional steps do not necessarily make the gasoline a “better†product for all engines. They just yield a different blend of hydrocarbons that burn more slowly. The additional steps also increase the price.

Attached Files:

2. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

I think they call for 89 or higher? I use an advancer plate in my zl900 so I run at least 91

3. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

i use premium in my zl always !!!!!!! & on occassionally add octane booster . CHRIS

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Always use 87 octane. Have tried using the higher grade and found no difference in performance or mpg's. As long as I can get around 38 to 40 mgp's on the interstate I'm not going to change the routine.

5. Elim8u

Elim8u Well-Known Member

I concur with our ZL cult leader!

6. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

i usually run premium. just because... i am thinking of blending some e85 to see if there is an increase in power.

7. zot

zot Well-Known Member Supporting Member

let us know your findings on that....

8. Elim8u

Elim8u Well-Known Member

Hey Lowlife, you know alcohol a/f ratio is 7 to 1.
    Can you find jets big enough?

9. GGRA

GGRA Active Member

I have always put premium in the bike, but I at the prices now I am thinking of dropping to Mid-grade.

It's hard for me to justify Premium for the bike, when my Honda Civic gets about the same mileage on regular.

10. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

Just have to watch her for running lean on the fuel curve. I run my vehicles upwards of 30-40% ethanol on a couple of them will no ill effects. Makes a huge difference on my supercharged truck. Wouldn't start that high but we already run 10%

11. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

I simply cant get myself to pay for premium at the current prices.
    So I have been taking it easy and running the cheap (LOL) stuff for now.
    If I plan on going wild with the RPM s or a day of radical all out riding I will fill it with octaine booster or premium.

For those of you who have access to the e-fuels they are not exactly the same as running alchohol and should not require a rejet. Just listen to the engine at Idle and very light throttle before swithing over and if she gets real noisy after you introduce the new fuel try mixing a bit of reg gass in with it but this probably wont be nessasary.

By the way my 85 made 94.48 HP on 87 octaine fuel with no boosters added.
    wish it could do that on water!

12. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

I always use use premium. It will occasionally knock under load with regular. Don't know about mid-grade.

13. Elim8u

Elim8u Well-Known Member

Lowlife sounds like you know what you are doing.
    Let us know how e-85 works out, and rough range of jeting
    that works out?

14. kbug

kbug Active Member

We get such great gas milage with our bikes they deserve the love and respect of the very best the pumps have to offer,

15. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

I was always told,that the higher the compresion the higher the octane you had to use.I think(not sure without looking)the compresion on the 900 is 11to1.I think this is why the manual recomends 89 or better.I always use the good stuff in the bike,and my old cars.
    My 72 camaro is very hard to start,if it has any thing less than 92oct in it.It is 10 3/4to 1 compresion.Most cars and trucks are only 8 1/2 or 9 to 1 compresion.So thay have no problem with 87oct,That is also what there manuals recomend.
    On a side note.Won't the E85 eat the seals?

16. oldmate

oldmate Active Member

Last fill I used 50/50 premium and avgas(100 low lead). Haven't done too many miles yet, but no ill effects so far.

17. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

I used avgas in my old zl 900.It works fine.I have also used this in race cars(drag race)It works great .Plus it is about half price of turbo blue,or other race gas.There is a small airport close to me,and they sell alot to racer's.The only thing is you have to put it in a gascan,they will not pump it into a car or bike.I think that is because there is no road tax on it.It is also a very clean fuel,because airplanes don't run fuel filters.That is what I was told by the airport gasman.

18. oldmate

oldmate Active Member

jmac, thats good to know, but your airport gas man must be a little confused because depending on the aircraft, they usually have numerous inline filters and water drain points.

19. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

Maybe he had been sniffing some of that gas when he told me that.I thought it sounded a little fishy.But I have never looked under the hood of a airplane.This could also be why he is the gas man,and not the mechenic.lol.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  20. gds

gds Well-Known Member

Unless you've read something different:

Running E85 in a normal vehicle is bad all around. It will eat your fuel system, give less performance, and less fuel milage.

E85 has to be run in a specially modified vehicle called a 'flexible-fuel vehicle' (FFV).
    E85 is corrosive to aluminum, rubber and other materials in a normal fuel system.
    E85 is less dense and creates less energy than gasoline, which means lower horsepower and lower fuel milage. In a FFV the computer senses when E85 is present so it can remap the fuel delivery criteria and send more fuel thru larger injectors to maintain the same power.

Pat Goss of "Goss' Garage" did a segment involving aftermarket kits that costs hundreds of dollars to convert normal vehicles into FFV's. He said "DON'T DO IT" it would take thousands of dollars and twice as many parts to do it properly, otherwise your vehicle will not run properly and will break down.

(no, I refuse to use a funny little icon)