1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Wheel interchangeability

Tom W Otto Dec 3, 2019

1. Tom W Otto

Tom W Otto Member

My wife has a 1986 ZL600. It’s been awhile since it’s run, or even been on the road. My question today is of interchangeability of wheels between years. I really like the look of the wire spoke wheels of the later (‘96?) year ZLs, and am not a big fan of the mag style wheels of the ‘86. Are they direct bolt on interchangeable?
    Thank you, more questions to follow.

2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I think Furchin might know the answer to that.

3. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

The rears are interchangeable but the front pretty much needs the whole front end including fork lowers and maybe more.

4. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Ed is correct. The biggest difference for the front is the brake caliper from the wire spoke wheels is on the opposite side to that of the '86, '87 years.

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: To compare the front end of the 80s and 90s ZL 600s is go to www.partszilla.com and type in the part #s of the forks and it will tell you what years that the forks will work on.

6. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Those US sites don't list the old 600s and many other bikes. I use the Jap site I discovered thru this forum:

https://en.impex-jp.com/catalogs/moto.html

Triple clamps have different numbers so fork spacing is unknown but probably the same.

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Partzilla lists parts for all the ZL 600. Also for all Hondas dating back to 1969.

8. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was thinking of Babbit's or kawasakipartshouse.