1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL 600 Shutting off.

Jason Terry Mar 21, 2020

1. Jason Terry

Jason Terry New Member

Guys i have an issue with my 1986 ZL 600. The thing just shuts off going down the road, no heating issues with this bike, its just like it looses all firing. I can let it sit for a minute and it fires right back up. Could this be an igniter issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It may be a venting issue. Ride the bike with the gas cap open.

3. Jason Terry

Jason Terry New Member

Well i will try that, thanks.

4. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

If it’s instant, I would lean towards electrical. Ignition switch, kill switch, CDI, side stand switch, etc.

5. Jason Terry

Jason Terry New Member

Yes its an instant shut off just like you turned the key. Was leaning toward electrical myself. Only thing is it could be alot of things.

6. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Like RJ says check the venting in the fuel cap and the fuel system and independently check the fuel flow from the fuel tap! Run the bike on Prime for a few minutes, then switch to Normal to make sure this setting is alright. Check the wiring for any shorts and check the Earths/Grounds, Fuse Box and Ignition box. igniter unit. Clean & spray all connections with Dielectic grease and re-connect. Run the bike when it's dark see if there is anything shorting out from the coils & ignition HT wiring' Spark-plug caps. I replaced the resistor Spark-plug with non-resistors plugs to increase spark strength. Check the Clutch switch, Stand switch and Kill switch are not cutting the engine out, I had this problem once and the bike keep cutting out and leaving me stranded!

7. Jason Terry

Jason Terry New Member

What ended up being your problem?

8. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

While you’re letting it sit for a minute to attempt a restart, did you move the key to off ?

9. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: My 83 650 Nighthawk had a bad CDI box. At first start up of the day I'd ride about 2 miles and the bike would just die. I'd turn the key off then on and the bike would fire right back up. I'd have no more shut downs until after the bike was stone cold. I'd add a few extra ground wires to the bikes circuit/wireing harness loom. Tie into the CDI/ ECUs ground with a blk wire about a foot long or so in the same location as the other earth ground. Do the same with the fuse boxs ground wire.

10. Trojan441

Side-stand switch!

11. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

The '86 &'87 600's are noted for having issues with the cdi box. The symptoms are as you have described, sudden shut down of bike and nothing on attempted restart. Let sit for a while an it will restart. I have gone through this with my 600 and a few others that I have worked on. You can pull the cdi from the harness and clean all contacts, coat with dielectric grease reinstall and hope. If this does not completely solve the issue then a replacement box is in order. If I recall the ZX600 box will also work along with the 900 & 1000 boxes. The change in boxes will alter the red line limit but will not preclude any notable riding issues.

12. Jason Terry

Jason Terry New Member

Thanks guys!!!!

13. Trojan441

The 400 red-lines the highest, suppose 400 owners have the most to lose!

14. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

You can also look at the pulse coils if it's not the cdi. The pulse coils will fail after getting hot and show those same symptoms.