1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Frank Fenech

Frank Fenech New Member

Hi there,

So my ZL1000 is acting up.

I recently replaced all the cooling system as it was leaking and as you might know you need to drain oil as well to replace water pump. Put in fresh oil 3.7L and fired the bike up.

Apparently I must have overfilled with oil as the exhaust was smoking (not from tips, but from various places along the way). Must have spilled excess oil into the exhausts. Took some oil out and it's not smoking any more.

However now Sparkplug number 1 (farthest to the left) is being blown out (the cover/electric wire) after some revving. I found out that 1 sparkplug had a missing O ring so it might be possible that air is escaping and pushing the weakest cover out of the head, making a popping sound as it does.

Has anyone ever had this situation? I'm purchasing a set of plugs later on today, maybe it sorts this strange problem.

2. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

That is some scary info! First locate your sight glass for the oil level. When the bike is balanced upright the oil level should be at about 3/4.
    Did the oil you drained out smell of fuel?
    Use a flashlight to look into the plug wells for any trash or traces of oil.
    Be cautious when tightening the new plugs, you will feel resistance when the crush washers make contact, about half a turn you will feel it tighten. Don't overtighten them! If you strip them you start searching for a head, I have a couple good top ends...
    Good luck!

R. J. likes this.
  3. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: The ZL 900/1000 supplement service manual states to torque the spark plugs to 10 ft. lbs.

4. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

R. J. likes this.
  5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

The 3.7 l marked on the crankcase is for the concourse zg1000, that has a different oil pan than the ZL900/1000. The capacity of the ZL is closer to 3l.

6. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: When I change the oil and filter I put in 3 quarts, warm up the bike, let it sit for 5 minutes then add oil (bike sitting top dead vertical/stright) as needed to about an 1/8" below the top of the site window.

7. shigeru

shigeru Active Member

When changing only the oil I always fill 2.3 to 2.4L & both oil & filter I do 2.8 to 2.9L. Then I can see the oil at the lowest level in the window.

8. Frank Fenech

Frank Fenech New Member

Thanks for the info guys, I only saw the manual which states it holds 3.7L and filled up so much.

9. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

If you leave the level at it's lowest in the window, that's too low and will starve the engine of oil.