1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl1000 doing the dragons Tail

klbhferis Sep 7, 2018

?

Would the zl1000 be a good bike to drive long distance from New York to Tennessee / North Carolina ?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. klbhferis

klbhferis Member

I'm going to be doing the dragons tail in Tennessee/ North Carolina, and I am curious if my zl1000 would be comfortable to ride all the way from New York upstate to there. I have a cruiser that might be more comfortable but I would rather hit the curves of the dragons tail with the zl

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: The bike yes me no. :laughing7:. My Wife & I did it in 1987 on my 1983 Honda CB 650 SC Nighthawk. We rode from Central FL to PA round trip. We did it in 18 days & covered close to 3 K miles.

klbhferis likes this.
  3. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yes, the ZL1k is a capable highway cruiser and will be a blast on the Dragon. Have fun and post pics.

klbhferis likes this.
  4. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Might want to add a throttle lock so the right hand hand can be rested from the vibes. Wind kind of beats ya up after a few hours at 80mph.
    Plan some decent sightseeing every 2-3 hours where you can get off the bike for 1/2-1 hour and walk about.
    Or... go to uhaul and take it for the ride by puting the bike on a trailer

5. paulfun

paulfun "King Of The 1/4mi (Internally Stock)"

U Haul?
    No fun in that!

Just make sure you have an alternative to the pegs, when riding by myself for long distance the rear pegs give me an alternate but when on a long trip with a passenger a set of highway pegs will do the trick.

klbhferis likes this.
  6. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Map shows 12.5 hours Ithica to Deals Gap. Split it up into a 2 day trip each way and have a nice little tour, you will be needin gas every hour and a half so take some time to walk around.

I would do it solo, the better half would not, not on the back of the ZL1K. 3 hours straight is about her limits for an enjoyable ride.