1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL1000 Throttle cable (closing) needed

Lucky-13 Dec 2, 2013

1. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

Does anyone have one or know where one can be purchased? I can't find one anywhere, unless the 900 one will work? Does anyone know?

2. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Call Motion Pro. They will make you a set. I paid $85 shipped. It was a 10 day turn around. They have a set of cables for the ZL 1000 & 900 on file. They told me that they just do not mas produce them. I have my new ones hanging up in the garage. My old ones are stretched but sill work just fine.

3. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

Send a pm to bacchus. I didn't see one listed, but he may have one in the zl store.

4. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

Thank you all for your responses, I have contacted Motion Pro through their website and hope to have an answer from them. In the meantime, if anyone has one, that they would not mind getting rid of, please let me know.

5. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I got a quicker response from Motion Pro by phone. When I E mailed them I waited 3 days then called & within 10 minutes my order was completed. I checked my recite & it was a 7 day turn around. The guy told me they can make any cable. If they do not have a particular cable just send them your old one broken or not & they will duplicate it. Not really sure when I'll replace my throttle cables. The return cable is adjusted all the way out so it might be on the verge of snapping. I'm not really sure if I want to get rid of them. Personally I wouldn't use a set of used cables.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

Well here is the response from Motion Pro. I thought people had gotten some from them???

Hello Carl
    We have never produced a line of replacement throttle cables for your application we do not have an elbow suitable for use on your model, this doesn’t mean we can’t offer assistance, we would just need your stock cable sent in and we can reuse the fittings into the throttle.
    the cost to custom make a black vinyl throttle cables would be $35.00 per cable excluding any shipping cost, the current turnaround time to complete a custom cable order is 8-9 working days excluding shipping time, all custom cable orders are prepaid on a credit card with a no return policy unless for warranty consideration, we do require the billing address on the card is the same as the ship to on the order and the card holder is the one placing the order. To send in the samples you would send the cables to:
    Motion Pro
    Attn. Custom Cables
    867 American St
    San Carlos CA 94070
    Please include a brief note stating what you need done and a means to contact you during the day, once we receive the samples we’ll review your request and contact you to confirm the details of your order and get your credit card number at this time. I hope you find this information to be of assistance, please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Thank You,

Joe Fratis
    V-Twin Brand Manager
    Motion Pro, Inc.
    867 American Street, San Carlos, CA 94070
    phone: 650-594-9600 fax: 650-594-9610

7. HilbillyRokstar

HilbillyRokstar _________________________ BANNED

Mods, you may want to link to this or make a copy and put it in a maintenance/repair file....also..I don't know if you guys at the ZL store may want to have a batch made up...ready to sell through your website. I know as a dealer...the price per unit would be substantially cheaper, as I have used this service before through one of the dealerships I worked for.

8. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

This doesn't sound right. Someone posted another contact at MP a while back. I don't think Joe Fratis V-Twin Brand Manager knows what he's talking about.

9. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: That is almost word for word in the E mail that they sent me. You need to call. The following is what I said to them. I have a 1987 Kawasaki ZL 1000. I was told that you have a set on file to duplicate. He said yes we do. The ones they made are identical & they had all the hardware to do them. How would they know if they do not have an elbow suited for your needs If they never made a set. A thread on our site has information on cables for the ZLs. It even listed the contacts name.

Attached Files:

10. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I agree with Kawboy. You need to call them. They have made a lot of cables for us and our bikes over the years. Later.

11. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: I just now noticed that the pics of my new Motion Pro throttle cables tag part # is all 0s. You would think they would assign a part # to the cables & document all the hardware & diminutions. It would make it much easier when reproducing them.

12. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

I sent the pictures that RJ posted to Motion Pro, and well Motion Pro no longer has parts to make the cables, but if they did, they could make them. That being said, does anyone have a used cable, broken or not that they could sell me? PLEASE!

See Motion Pro email below.

Hello Carl,
    Sorry but this isn’t of any assistance, up in till just recently we could make cables for the ZL 1000’s,we have information on the stock cables and could custom make them without any samples provided. however the elbows we used that matched the OE samples are no longer stocked, we tried using some elbows that where close but we had fitment issues, so rather then put out as product not up to our standards the only way to proceed with this application is for the customer to supply the cables and we will reuse the stock elbows. I’m sure you can understand we’re happy to help however we will need the OE cables provided to reuse the elbows into the throttle and ensure proper fitment. I hope you find this information to be of assistance, please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Thank You,

Joe Fratis
    V-Twin Brand Manager
    Motion Pro, Inc.
    867 American Street, San Carlos, CA 94070
    phone: 650-594-9600 fax: 650-594-9610

13. bsmith

bsmith Active Member

Mine was broken as well, as I discovered in my recent upgrade of the carb jets.... My cousin custom fabricated one.

If the vinyl is good you he just cut the cable and then soldered the ends, (clarification, he cut a new entire length cable and secured the ends, did not cut and solder the cable)

Email me if you want to contact him direct for details or have one made. Located In CLE.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  14. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: Take yours off & send them the elbows & have them make a set. Iv'e tried in the past to repair broken cables & they seem to never hold up. A shop that used to make/repair them in Daytona is closed. Even them broke for me. I have never had a problem with Motion Pro's cables.

15. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

My closing cable is not broken, it is missing. Therefore, I have no cable or parts to send them. Does anyone have one I can buy, to have a new one made? Does anyone know if the hardware is the same on the 900 as the 1000, and the cable are just different length?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2013
  16. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: It might be a long shot but possible. I'll be going to Daytona next week. Daytona cycle has 100s of cables but none are marked. I'll try to stop in & see what they have. I'll take my new set with me. If that does not pan out & know one else can help you out I'll see if my old cables are any good & send you the one you need. I'm really not sure when I will get around to installing my new cables. It will not be until after the first of the year.

17. Lucky-13

Lucky-13 Guest

RJ that is very nice of you. I won't be riding any time soon since it is going to be in the single digits next week. But I am wanting to have the bike ready for spring. I would even take a broken cable as long as it still has the hardware. MP will be able to make it if I can get them the hardware.

18. R. J.

R. J. Senior Member

:hello: 10 4 on that. :thumbsup: I'll keep you posted.

19. Jarney

Jarney Strip Warrior Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Thanks for the info Lucky13. That's disappointing news to hear from Motion Pro - another part that will be difficult to get for our bikes. Hard to believe they do not have a source to duplicate the elbows of the cables. Later.

20. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member