1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL400 cylinder head removal

DONALD PENDER Jul 7, 2019

1. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

Hi Gentlemen and Ladies. I was given a ZL400A in not so good cond. but will get around to
    sorting it. Frame No ZL400A 006202 not sure what year that is, but is it possible to remove cylinder head in
    with engine still in the frame? I thought I'd ask first.
    Don

2. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

I have never had to lift one off, but I think it is a job with the engine in the frame.
    The tricky fiddly bit is the cam cover which you remove from the left side of the bike n' replace from the right side when rebuilding , but to do the job U need the bike more upright than the side-stand facilitates!
    Drain coolant from the small bolt @ the water pump;
    Remove the fuel tank;
    HT Leads;
    Remove Knee pad protectors.
    Remove the top coolant hoses from the fixings n' take off the Coolant pipe stubs unbolt the Cam cover 6 bolts n' wriggle it out to the left side, here wiring n' cables can make it tricky.
    Watch U don't loose the four oil pipe Rubber/Neoprene caps, especially down the central cam chain tunnel, when rebuilding put a little grease on the Neoprene caps to hold them in place!

Go to the Motorcycle Manual section n' print off the ZL 600 stuff, the bikes are essentially the same, Where R U based?

3. Trojan441

4. Trojan441

Oh! n' on the fuel side the carburettor rack n' associated cables, Air-box e.t.c. On other ZX 400 n' ZX 600 models I believe, (according to the manual), that the cylinder head could be removed with the engine in situation in the frame.

5. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

thanks for that info. I'm Aussie living in the Philippines for past 12 years. I have 14 or 15 other bikes and didnt
    really want this one but my friend offered it to me for free. He believed it was loosing compression between cylinders
    Time will tell.

6. Trojan441

Lucky Guy, even old knackered shite bikes are commanding premium prices, if they can get away with it in the UK?

7. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

Did you try a valve adjustment? What makes you feel that the head needs removed?

8. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

thats all I got from the previous owner. when I picked it up a few days ago . the spark plugs were out of it
    and I'd say they have been out for a few years and for all I know its got rain water in the cylinders.

9. Trojan441

I hope the damage is light n' repairable without to much hassle!

10. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

well if the bores are not rusted then maybe a hone and a set of rings etc

11. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You might find a tough time finding a set of rings. I'm not even sure that you can get pistons from KAWASAKI.

12. Trojan441

U can get ring from Japan, "Crusin Image on Ebay, but he doesn't state where they R made, rings cost from £120- £200, U can get rings from China I think, but an article in a English Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Mag' said some of the suppliers stuff U could flex n' bend! Any ZX 400 1986 -1993 56 mm pistons should fit the ZL 400, Annoyingly the Japanese supply every individual part separately, circlips, rings, Gudgeon pins, piston (x 4)!

13. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

I think all the ZX400's are 57mm bore

14. Trojan441

Kawasaki did a 1mm Bore increase piston for the ZL, but I may be wrong but I think in the Spec sites such as https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_zx4F3 88.htm some of the information is incorrect! Why would Kawasaki vary bore n' stroke on a 400cc's compatible engines? I have a ZX 400 but as yet haven't stripped down yet to measure piston size! But if the bore is bigger then just fit ZX 400 barrels n' pistons.

15. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

my research shows that only the ZL had a 56mm bore, all the other 400's ,GPZ, ZX etc had 57mm bore.
    Well the valve clearances were ok on mine but now waiting for a long series 12mm socket to remove head and
    investigate. Also The ZL has its own engine coz the gaskets (head and base) are different from the other 400's
    The cylinders and head are different.

16. Trojan441

I will take the head off the ZX400 engine when I have time, but aren't the only difference the inlet tracts for he smaller ZL 30mm carburettor bore, perhaps the barrels are different but if 57 mm in Liner bore size only? As for the gaskets, not sure never had chance to compare them. So if the bore size is different U could increase the capacity of the ZL 400 by about 13 cc by using the 57 mm pistons n' barrels!

17. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

yes I compared the gaskets and they are different .

18. DONALD PENDER

DONALD PENDER New Member

Yes my ZL400 bores (rusted) didnt clean up with a hone, I have coming GPZ400 57mm cylinders and pistons on the way,

19. Trojan441

You will have a 420 cc bike when the rebuild is finished!