1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL600 runs but will not start.

Klodos Feb 12, 2020

1. Klodos

Klodos New Member

I have a problem with a 1997 ZL600B.
    It starts, but if it is turned off or stalled, it will not start again. No matter if it's cold or hot. It cranks but wont start. After approx. 10min standstill, it starts without problems.
    There is a good spark from the spark plugs. It is not the pet cock nor the tank as I have connected it to an external tank.
    I changed the CDI device.
    What's wrong with it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: (1.) You might want to adjust the valves. (2.) The CDI/ECU is intermittent. It is effected by heat. (3.) Pick up coils. Also effected by heat or the air gap may need reset.

Klodos likes this.
  3. Klodos

Klodos New Member

I don’t think it’s the valves, because the motor runs very “silent”.
    I changed the CDI, so that should be ok.
    I will check the pick up coils.

4. madmanncr500

madmanncr500 Well-Known Member

more than likely its the pick up coil gap! Had same problem with my 900 and Mark( our founding father) found the problem for me at a wrenching party at our brother Buds house.....R.I.P MARK!!!

Klodos likes this.
  5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: Valves being tight won't make any noise.

Ed likes this.
  6. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Classic problem with the 600, adjust the valves.

Klodos likes this.
  7. Klodos

Klodos New Member

Thanks for the quick response.

I have checked the coils. It didn’t help.
    I will adjust the valves, and hope for it will work.
    You will be updated, when I have some news for you.

8. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

It'll be noisy with loose valves but still run. With tight valves, it'll be quiet but lose compression and run terrible down low. Some valve noise is good.

Klodos likes this.