1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Zl600 still overheating

Eugene Keller Sep 25, 2019

1. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

After flushing coolant system, replacing thermostat, couple of hoses, cap, bleed it countless times, water pump all good still overheating. No sign on head gasket blown. Any idea of what to do next thanks

2. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Thermostat new? Really opening? You can test in boiling water...fan starts running? Just my 2ct.

3. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Thermostat good.fun is wired to a switch I turn on when it's running.. flushed it again bleed it several times. It dont overheat until about 10 miles of riding. Its very frustrating I love riding her. Only leak is when hot leaks out overflow tube. Any help would be super grate full thanks

4. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

Thermostat cap fine (rubber? spring works well?) I hope it's NOT the head gasket...:eek:

5. 87kawzl

87kawzl Supporting Member

I think there are two places to bleed, t-stat cap and water pump.

Reservoir full and hose connected properly?

T-stat in backwards? Not sure it can happen on a kaw but I've heard of it before on cars.

Collapsed intake hose at the water pump?

6. wuputt

wuputt ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Technical Author Supporting Member

Every time I hear "overheating" I respond with bleed it more!

R. J. likes this.
  7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: EUGENE: Refering to post # 3. Sounds like a problem I was having on my ZL 10 about 8 years ago. What happened was I had the 2 hoses going to the reservoir tank reversed.

8. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Changed hose's one from radiator to water pump had come apart on Inside so was having blockage. All hoses took off inspected and cleaned. Every looks good

9. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Not the head gasket, checked for exhaust gases in radiator none, no coolant in oil or oil in coolant not leaking anywhere

10. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

The
    Hose from filler neck/cap goes to the bottom of reservoir, top hose on reservoir is over flow. Right

11. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

On the 400 the main hose from filler cap (short one) goes to the top of the radiator, bottom main (long) hose goes from the radiator base to the water-pump housing n' everything works, the water-pump housing has the drain screw located on it. A small overflow pipe goes to the reservoir bottle near the clutch housing which itself has a short overflow pipe. When I drain n' refill I do it in stages measuring out 2 Litres of coolant n' gently rock the bike side to side so the air displaces, I do not fill it in one complete go, so as to avoid an air-lock by creating air pockets. Have U tested the Radiator independently with a trickle flow of cold water? Just a thought!

12. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello:
    YES.

13. prfixer

prfixer Senior Member Supporting Member

What is it doing that it's telling you it's overheating? Gurgling out the overflow?

14. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Gurgling out overflow.

15. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

All my bikes and projects this is got me and father in law stumped. I do appreciate all of your guys input

16. prfixer

If the one hose you spoke of came apart internally, are the passageways now blocked?

17. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: May be your water pump propeller is plugged up with bits of foreign matter. Take the water pump cover off for inspection.

18. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

Did that already it's all good

19. Eugene Keller

Eugene Keller New Member

No everything was cleaned and flushed last week. Doing another 3 flushes right now everything nice and clean. No leaks changed thermostat o ring. Checked thermostat even swap it out with a different one

20. prfixer

Are you running pods, making it too lean? How hot of plugs are you running?