1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL600 + ZX600 = Ninja Eliminator?!

DesertKyorugi Jan 12, 2020

1. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi New Member

After taking a good hard look at the ZL more closely, and trying to come up with a plan of attack.....something looms in the background and BOOM a crazy idea was hatched!

IMG_20200111_125926.jpg IMG_20200111_130001.jpg IMG_20200111_105014.jpg

It looks like a lot of parts are interchangeable and my Ninja parts/hoses/cables and etc are in better conditions.
    Is there an online database for interchangeable parts that I can cross-reference instead of just eyeballing and swap?

2. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

U sure it's "Boom" n' not "Ka-boom"? Difficult one as Kawasaki seem to deliberately often not make inter-changeability easily known. Micro-fische parts numbers, spare part vendors who list compatibility, RJ always quoting one in USA, that lists compatibility of models, "Partzilla" maybe?

I would be suprised if the cables fit, especially throttle cables! Some fixtures n' fittings may be inter-changeable, Petrol tank, side-panels aside. I take it they R both 600s, if so the ZX head differs in having 32 mm Inlet tracts, so U Lose low & Mid range flexibility if a head swap takes place.

3. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

As stated above, "Partzilla " is a good reference. A couple of members on here have the Zedder Kawasaki Cross reference manual, including me. Don't know if this is still available on Ebay or not. If you know the part number you want to cross post it here and maybe one of us can cross check it for you.

wuputt likes this.
  4. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

I thought about converting to chain drive using the ZX motor. Should free up 7 or 8 HP. :)

5. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: It would be best to just compare the cables and such with each other. Just because Kawasaki parts fish states that a part won't work on a ZL doesn't mean it won't work. I've found that certain parts from a 99 Driffter works on our 250 Eliminator. Martin does this Zedder manual have a part #.

6. furchin

furchin ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

@R.J.---No part number that I know of. An Ebay search for should find this manual. I think the seller is Zedder Enterprises.
    Or check here---------http://www.zedder.com/msg6.htm

7. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: OK: Thanks. I did do a search for them by name.

8. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

9. DesertKyorugi

DesertKyorugi New Member

No worries guys. I am a retired engineer who grew up tinkering with bikes since I was 14. Not new to manufacturers game of different part numbers but fit just fine. And like what @Trojan441 said, we will lay the parts down side by side for comparison.
    I can already tell the cooling hoses, cooling fan and possibly radiator are the same or very close for fitting.
    I will try to find the Zedder manual and keep you guys posted on which parts ended up where.
    Meanwhile, we are going to start tackling the rust on the frame. Not going to do a full engine removal for it but will make it more presentable. Going to steam clean, wire brush and then steam clean again before treating the rust

10. Ed

Ed Well-Known Member

It usually takes about 10% or more HP to overcome the friction of a driveshaft. Chain drive takes almost nothing away so that's quite a bit more HP going to the rear wheel. It's like having your cake and eating it, too. :D