1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

zl900 aftermarket exhaust

kev321cars Jun 25, 2008

1. kev321cars

kev321cars Active Member

I am in the market for a new exhaust and am able to find 2, the hole shots slip ons and d&d four into one. Are there any others that I am missing or are these two my only options.Can anybody tell me the pros and cons of each and I also saw some old post about supertrap stainless,are these still available.I am ready to buy now ,but not sure what to buy.I am leaning toward d$d because my down tubes have a few dents and the rest of my zl900 has just been painted and is looking good and I don't think the hole shots come with down tubes or do they? any help would be great. thanks

2. lowlife

lowlife ZL Mad Scientist Technical Author Supporting Member

I believe all your info is correct abut the D&D and H.S. Supertrapp is no longer available... If I were to go with an aftermarket exhaust I would go in my order.

1.Trapps as they are adjustable but no longer available and seemingly hard to come by

2. Holeshots...as I don't like the looks of the bike with the gaping hole left by the 4 into one exhaust.

3. D&d.. for above reason but i suspect they may make the most torque on the bottom end. Also nice to have a matched system.

I have no basis for my review just my opinion and personal choice, Just be aware that you may need to rejet though you can find that help here. Frankly I doubt you can go wrong with any of the above choices

3. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Swap the frame rails from the rear of the motor to the steering head with a zrx and use any pipe

4. kawboy

kawboy Supporting Member Technical Author

huh?

5. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Yeah, Huh ????? Chris

6. kev321cars

kev321cars Active Member

whats up? not sure what Zl means

7. zlMark

zlMark Cult Leader

Swap the frame rails from the rear of the motor to the steering head with a zrx and use any pipe

I mean. Swap the frame rails from the rear of the motor to the steering head with a zrx and use any pipe..............:D

Of course this would involve some cutting and welding

8. zl900_moab

zl900_moab Senior Member

Ignore him....His prescription ran out...
    moab...

9. MachIV

MachIV Senior Member

I`ve got ZRX frames all over my basement.

No need,just cut the ZL front downtubes around the exhaust ports
    and add a [ and a ] on either side to get them from blocking the ports
    and use any number of big bore Kaw pipes.
    My ZL headpipe bolted up the the 12 with just some custom made spacers.

10. CHRIS

CHRIS ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

Lol !!!!!!! Chris

11. MachIV

MachIV Senior Member

Or it was just refilled.

12. novemberalpha47

novemberalpha47 Active Member

I just bought the D&D from starcycle.com........I bought it based on the fact that Holeshots are slip-ons that cost$563, D&D is everything and ran me $549. Plus, I like the superbike sound.

13. MachIV

MachIV Senior Member

Do ya like the 2 in. of ground clearance?

14. tmdoth

tmdoth Senior Member Supporting Member

Why is that? Is it because of the twisting needed for the 4 into 1?

I also have to question if Holeshot ever made downpipes... The ones I have are black not steel like on my stocker.

15. MachIV

MachIV Senior Member

P1ss-poor design.

16. novemberalpha47

I've had things lower.

17. kev321cars

kev321cars Active Member

I have decided to try and stay stock if possible.The d&d just looks odd, and ground clearance is an issue. I also do not care for the look of the hole shots, they would need to be larger in order to suit the character of the bike.I live in Canada and ups charges a 60% handling fee to cross boarder which brings the price of these parts way high.So I am in need of right side muffler and will keep looking,but am not going to pay $860.00 on Ebay for something I have not seen in person.Maybe if I wait long enough something will come along.

18. novemberalpha47

The only thing I didn't like about the d&d is the sportbike look. Love the sportbike sound, but the tip needs to go. It looks a little odd, but options are limited. My factory mufflers were rusted junk and the headers had been re-welded a couple spots, so whats a guy to do?

19. vinny

vinny Senior Member

You do whatever you have to do to keep her on the road NA47. :)
    These older bikes are going to be very very difficult to keep in stock condition - because more and part sparts will become unavailable. :(
    So we have to make some difficult choices - take them off the road and wait for a New Old Stock item to come up on Ebay? OR have a cutom made replica made ? Both of these may be too expensive for those of us on a tight budget. :(
    So - sometimes we have to get creative and find and alternative route that keeps us on the road. :)

20. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Dale walkers Holeshot slip on is is I think the only way to go today