1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

ZL900 is not working well... she needs help

Joe Johnston Jul 30, 2018

1. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston New Member

Hey guy/gals,

I am new on this site and not sure if I am in the right area to post a question such as this.

I have a zl900 and it starts right up and idles with now problems. When I drive along and hit 7000-7500 rpm in almost every gear she falls in her face until I clutch and start another gear it will take right off with great power until she hits the 7000-7500 rpm again. I have had my carbs inspected, petcock inspected, and vacuum lines inspected, tank vents, and driven with the petcock in prime position, so I believe fuel is ruled out. I can feel it breaking down slightly cruising along at a low steady rpm through town. I have had issues with my CDI in the past so I am not sure if this CDI my be acting up. I just performed a spark test with an adjustable spark tester set at approx. 15000 volts and I was getting great spark in 1, 3, and 4 and it ran without missing a beat. When I tested 2 it showed some spark but it wouldn't start like it did when I tested 1, 3, and 4.

Any thoughts

2. 87kawzl

87kawzl Senior Member

Plug wire #2
    Get a few feet of solid wire 7mm at Napa, take the cap apart and clean it's resistor and inside parts up and give it another go with new wire.
    Or
    Clean up cap and nip 1/4" off the original wire and reseat it.

3. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

welcome Joe
    I have a 900 also and have idle issues when cold and power loss occur at about 5-6k rpm
    to remedy this I started with a valve adjustment to make sure that wasnt it
    then I found all the plug caps and wires were rotted so I replaced those, big improvement in running but I still had the same issues just not as bad
    I checked the fuel as you did and all was good
    and my mileage was not very good
    I have determined that my carbs were somehow not right and having internal vacuum leaks or plugged up jets
    I sent them off to Rick West (WickedZL) and he found the internal orings were rotted and they had some pluged up jets and orifaces
    I should be getting them back end of week and will install them over the weekend
    also as I removed the carbs I found the intake manifolds were loose also causing a vacuum leak so you should check those

kvalheim likes this.
  4. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston New Member

Awesome... thank you I will try that.

5. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston New Member

I would like to hear back if the carbs made any difference. Thank you

6. Ducky Dog

Ducky Dog Active Member

Hopefully I will get them on this weekend
    I got them today and they look nice
    Thank you Rick