1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

'88 ZL 600 A #4124

letmwhirl Oct 30, 2019

1. letmwhirl

letmwhirl New Member

Just purchased this and have taken the Head and Cylinder off due to very low compression. It had severe carbon build up on the exhaust valves and ports,,, that is all cleaned up. I did have to purchase (off ebay) all new intake valves. The pistons, cylinder block and head (along with valves and springs) have been taken to a machinist here in Germany. He called today and said there are three pistons which are at the service limit and the cylinders are not round... enough to go back with STD sizes... I am in need of O/S pistons and rings.

Help... any ideas? I have been searching ebay sites in Europe for useable parts, new is my preference.

Does anyone know if pistons from a KAWASAKI ZX-6R 1995-1997 ZX600F 13001-1546 13002-1115 will fit ?

2. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  3. letmwhirl

letmwhirl New Member

Hello R.J.,
    Many thanks for the quick response to my post. :thumbsup:

I found them (oversize +0.50) from Scheuerlein Motorentechnik. :wav:

I should have them by mid Nov. I will post an update after the motor is back together.

4. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member

:hello: You are welcome. When you start putting your ZL 6 back together post up pics as you go.

5. letmwhirl

letmwhirl New Member

Good morning all,
    Status update on the engine rebuild:
    1. New oversize piston and ring sets delivered
    2. Cylinder and pistons taken to Machinist
    3. 3 weeks later, picked up cylinder and head (new valve job)
    4. Yesterday, finally had time to install pistons, cylinder and head
    5. aligned the cams, but have not put the caps on, ran short of time
    This morning, I will take a few pictures, and as well more during the day as I progress. I forgot to do this yesterday. :oops::redface::banghead:

6. letmwhirl

letmwhirl New Member

Good Morning! I was a little slow getting started yesterday, so not too much progress. I also had to reposition the vavle cover, as I placed it on the wrong way at first.:icon_scratch: Silicon was not my friend. :scared:

I adjusted the valves as suggested by another member here. He ran all intakes starting at one end and then adjusted the exhausts. I do like this better, as you are not moving around on the cylinders and switching guages as much. However you do have to rotate the crank more than the process described in the book.

I was finally able to install the carbs which I had previously overhauled. This morning, I hope to get all the cables, radiator and hoses (water, gas and air) connected. Time permitting, the exhaust pipes and mufflers. Oh and more pictures. :thumbsup: