1. Guest,
    We need good tech writers that are willing to help out here at ZL-OA. If you like taking photos of jobs as you perform the steps on your repairs, have historical ads/documents from old magazines, or any else you think belongs in the Technical Library than you might be able to help. Send a private message to Furchin, Mudrunner88, Chris, Jarney, Wuputt, or Markus56 and we can lead you in the right direction to get started.
    Dismiss Notice

Radiator Temp Switch Alternative (97°C)

Harriminator Mar 19, 2019

1. Harriminator

Harriminator Senior Member

CAUTION: This is NOT plug'n'play, you need a drill press and have to lower, drill out and cut thread so you need the right tools and the skill to do that job; if you're uncertain you better ask for help or let it like it is.
    Concerning the switch I can only speak for what I've found on the German market, but the link @ the bottom shows where I got it from and you may get it there or have other sources for a similar component.

1. Drilling out for M14 (Ø 12,5 mm):
    rad_drill.jpg

2. Thread cutting M14x1.5:
    rad_cut.jpg

3. Ready for switch:
    rad_thread.jpg
    The alu chips fallen in from drilling I got out with a small plastic hose taped on the snorkle of a vac, afterwards I flushed the rad thoroughly.

4. New switch (#126.246) with washer (same as for oil drain plugs):
    switch_new.jpg

5. Built-in:
    rad_ready.jpg

6. Shrinking tube to prevent premature corrosion on contact surface:
    rad_final.jpg

http://www.ezt-autoteile.de/VDO-Sen...aturschalter-M14x15-Kontakt-=-97C::32860.html

R. J. likes this.
  2. markus56

markus56 ZL-OA Co-owner Staff Member Administrator Super Moderator Supporting Member

I thought that lower radiator switch was the only one still available through the dealer? Have they ran out?

3. Harriminator

Don't know, but I'm fed up w/ this soldered Jap. cr*p dying whenever you not expect it...

4. Harriminator

...and the price is 1/2 Kawa: 38,20€ ~ US$43,36 (and it's brand new, not NOS 198x...):laughing7:

5. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Tried your link it now says product not found!

6. Harriminator

Link works for me; maybe you have to go step-by-step: 1st = start side www.ezt-autoteile.de ; 2nd = left column click on 'VDO Sensoren/Zubehör' ; 3rd = now you can see a pic in the 2nd row named 'VDO Temperaturschalter' ; 4th = you see 6 pics, in the upper middle '...M14x1,5' ; 5th = last pic '....97°C 41,10 EUR'.

Hope it helps...

7. Trojan441

Trojan441 Well-Known Member

Cheers will try again!

8. R. J.

R. J. Supporting Member